Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Dinner with Friends (And Blog Fonts that won't Cooperate)

As my last entry ended on a heavy note, I'd like to begin this one with what may be my favorite picture ever taken of my husband. Each time I look at it, it totally makes me laugh. It was taken on the plane, right after we took off from Seattle on our way to Kiev. It is no small secret that I have become somewhat terrified of flying and thus, measures were taken to ensure that I wouldn't spend the whole flight doing deep breathing exercises. Suffice to say, these measures were highly effective. First we were loopy, and then we slept; but not before I got a picture. How funny is that face?


***
This weekend we had dinner with a bunch of friends. Our friend Serioga, who we all refer to by his last name-- Prostoshock -- came into town from Kiev. He's currently working in Kiev building airplanes, which I find a little disconcerting only because I know how much he likes to, uh, puff the magic dragon so to speak.

(With Prostoshock)

Some of you who followed my blog when I was here with the Peace Corps may recognize Prostoshock as the groom from a certain "Summer Shotgun Wedding." Those of you who recognize him may then be interested in knowing that the shotgun marriage lasted all of seven months. I believe he and his young bride divorced just after his son was born. Their split came as no surprise as they bickered incessantly, so much so in fact, that I often questioned if they even liked each other at all. But that's neither here nor there...

(Roma, Prostoshock, Sasha & Alona)

Besides Sasha and Alona, we were joined for dinner by two other couples. One of the couples I have known for a long time. Vova -- who we all refer to by his last name, Kuzya -- and his wife, Natasha, have always been Roma's good friends. Natasha, interestingly enough, is Sasha's second cousin. Kuzya was one of Roma's classmates from school. He is a good guy with a jovial spirit despite a dark backstory. When he was just 10-years-old, his mom was murdered in her village by an escaped convict, which is just crazy. The convict was eventually caught and sentenced to life in prison. Kuzya proved to be a resilient kid. He never used that trauma as an excuse to be angry, or to rebel. He did well in school and now has a good job. He is one of the few men I know here who doesn't smoke or drink to exess, and he's really, very sweet to his wife. I like Kuzya a lot.

(With Kuzya, Natasha & Prostoshock)

The last couple who joined us, Kolya and Yulia, are relatively new friends-- to me at least. Kolya was in Roma's class until the 9th grade when he transferred schools. He and Yulia were a part of the two day reunion extravaganza, which is how I got to know them. When I first me them, I thought to myself: gee, she is really beautiful and he's kinda, well, not. How did that happen? Through the course of the weekend, I saw how funny he was and how much he made her laugh and it all made sense. Kolya is big and he's loud and he's a total clown a la Chris Farley. He's also the son of one of the most prominent developers in Bar so he knows everybody. Yulia used to play basketball with Oksana. She was the only other wife who took part in paintballing when we went a couple weeks ago. I like me a wife who doesn't sit on the sidelines.


(Sasha, Alona, Yulia & Kolya)

***

Yesterday was Constitution Day. I'm not sure exactly what that means, but I do know that everyone had the day off. Roma and I were invited to eat shashleek at Sasha's business partner's house. Sasha is currently selling second hand clothes at the bazaar and is in the process of opening his own second hand store. Second hand clothing is all the rage in Bar. Sasha's business partner, Andrey, is helping him remodel the old office he’s turning into his store.



(Roma tending to the meat)

(Roma, with Serigoa *aka Foolia*, Sasha & Andrey's dog, Elza)


(Andrey, far right, playing a board game with Prostoshock)

(Dima escaping the late afternoon rain inside )

***
In grandparent news, my grandmother is thankfully, home from the hospital. Roma's grandpa is slowing recuperating and we are hopeful that this means he won't need an operation. The doctor seems to think that if he continues to make progress, he'll be able to go home this weekend. Little Vernonusia however, has come down with something. She has a rash all over her little body and down her throat. The poor thing is just miserable. This is the first time she's ever been really sick and I know it's a little scary for Oksana. So prayers that our little stinker will recover and be make to making mischief around the apartment.






No comments:

Post a Comment