Friday, June 25, 2010

This Week in Bar

First, I complained about the scorching heat and now, now I must complain about the rain. The rain, the rain, the rain; I've had enough of the rain. The streets are muddy beyond all reason--that's really my main beef with the rain. Streets and sidewalks are like, half-paved here. Some streets and sidewalks are just dirt roads and paths, others were paved at one point, but with such a thin layer of asphalt that they slowly are morphing back to their original form. It's impossible to go out and return home with clean shoes. It's impossible to take a step without your foot getting stuck in thick mud and your shoe making a sucking sound as it smooches the ground...

It has rained everyday for the last week. Not all day everyday, but at least every evening. Around 5 o'clock, the clouds have started to roll in and we've had spectacular thunderstorms. Today, it's just raining. No thunderstorms, and believe me, that's a relief too. The thunderstorms have taken their toll on this apartment.

First, the computer -- though off -- got zapped by a power surge caused by lightening and we had to send it out to get fixed. Then, the refrigerator -- which was only three years old -- got zapped when a storm rolled in before anyone could get home to unplug it. Mama and Papa tried to have the refrigerator fixed but it couldn't be helped. Apparently, that brand of refrigerator only had a shelf life of about three years anyway. The store they bought it from doesn't even sell it anymore.

Buying a refrigerator is no small purchase for anybody, anywhere; but especially here. Mama and Papa make a combined 200 dollars a month. The new refrigerator cost nearly 600 dollars. I'm just glad that Roma and I are here and in a position to help them with that purchase. I'm also glad we were here to insist they buy a well known brand.

I've said it before, but I'll say it again, things are so expensive here. I don't know how the average Ukrainian does it. Things are significantly more expensive than they were when I lived here three years ago and yet, paychecks have remained the same. Three years ago, I could buy a liter of beer for about 4.50 (local currency), now that same beer costs at least 7.50 or 8.00. A small wedge of cheese, which earlier I could buy for 8.00 or 9.00 hryvna now costs at least 15.00.


***

This week was Oksana and her husband, Vitya's two year anniversary. On their anniversary, Vitya managed to get off work early and surprise Oksana with dinner at a restaurant. Roma and I joined them for a glass of wine.



I have only seen Vitya about three times since we've been here, though he lives in the apartment with us. He's been working crazy shifts at his job. Usually he works one week and is home one week, but he filled in for someone else last week, when he should have been home, and next week he's on again and then he's filling for someone else and then he's back on again, so it's looking like he won't be around for another three weeks.


He leaves for work early, at like 6 or 7 AM and gets home between 12 AM and 2 AM. I will never understand the cockamamy work schedule people have here. I remember when Sasha worked at the local juice plant, he'd have to work two days straight, 24 hours a day and then he'd be off for 24 hours. And then, back on for two. Cockamamy I tell you, cockamamy.


***

Roma's cousin and her two young kids came to visit us this week. Her youngest, Artiom, is just about 2 years old and -- though this was the first time I'd met him –also my Godson. He was pretty cute. He charmed the pants off of me with his chunky cheeks and his smile. How could you not love that face?




Veronika had a ball playing with her cousins. The apartment, which I believe I've mentioned is very small (two bedrooms, one living room, kitchen the size of a Jacuzzi), was utter insanity with two more kids added to the mix. I was able to pin the bandits to the couch for a brief moment to take a picture.




AND THEN IT WAS BACK TO CRAZINESS...


***

Grandpa isn't doing so well and we had to bring him to the hospital yesterday. His current problem is unrelated to the horse incident and I'm afraid, a bit more serious; but I'm not going to speculate until we know more. Please keep him and grandma -- and heck, the whole Romaniuk clan -- in your prayers.

It was certainly an experience accompanying someone to the hospital here. Medicine is "free" in Ukraine, except that it's not. You pay for everything. Upon arriving at the hospital, Mama was given a list of things she had to go buy from the pharmacy. This list included antibiotics, pain pills, catheters, alcohol (to sterilize needles and clean grandpa's arm when they draw blood) and so on and so forth.


When grandpa was admitted to spend the night for further testing, Mama had to run home and get blankets and pillows because all that is provided is a bed and a mattress. We had to bring toilet paper, soap, drinking water... basically everything. They don't provide meals or beverages, so Mama makes food and we bring it to him. A couple times a day, we'll also bring him tea in a thermos.


Apparently, the only thing that you get free here is your cot & mattress because even the consultation with the doctor ends up being costly. Mama didn't pay the doctor money per se, but she did send Roma out to buy an expensive bottle of cognac and a box of chocolates. The doctor -- though the father of one of Roma's good friend -- expects something. Depending on how long grandpa is in the hospital and how much attention he receives from the doctor, we'll probably need to give another gift. If grandpa ends up needing surgery, then the expectation will likely be money.


Let's hope that it doesn't get to that point, not because of the cost, but because I wonder if grandpa would even be able – or have the desire – to recover from an operation.

Yesterday was in general, not joyful day. Besides Roma's grandpa being admitted to the hospital, I learned that my grandma was admitted to one also. So while you are at it, prayers for Grandma Ann too. Moreover, yesterday marked two years since my Grandma Eleanor died. Can't believe two years have passed. We all sure miss that smile.



(Pictured here with my cousin, Lori).



1 comment: