Friday, June 11, 2010

A Ukrainian Homecoming

Well, we made it to Ukraine and so far, have enjoyed a lovely, ridiculously food-filled homecoming. We flew into Kiev Wednesday and were met by one of Roma's good friends. We then drove roughly four hours through the countryside to Bar. 

Ukraine is as lush and beautiful as I remember. 

We arrived in Bar around nine o'clock. Roma's family was waiting for us outside the building. Anyone who has ever lived far from home or gone a long time without hugging their mom can understand what an overwhelming and beautiful moment it is to be home. The rest of you, well, I'm sure you can imagine. Roma's niece, Veronika, is 18 months old and has pretty much only ever known Roma via skype. Yet she recognized him and was so excited to see him that all she could do was grunt and squeal. 

Yesterday we met up with our good friends Sasha and Alona. As per tradition, we took all of our friends out to dinner and ate and drank way too much. Today we are off to the village to see Roma's grandparents. His grandparents are in their 80's and still work their small farm from sun up until sun down without complaint. Last week, Grandpa's horse got spooked and from what I understand, slightly trampled him. He didn't break any bones but has been house bound ever since. I'll have a better idea how he's doing after today, but do keep him in your prayers.

There are a few things that I'm having to re-acclimate to:

1. The public toilet squat. I forgot how challenging it can be to have to balance over a porcelain hole. It's truly an art. 

2. The rich food. (I think one and two go hand in hand, but that's all I'll say)

3. The prices. Things are so expensive here for Ukrainians. I'm sure by next week I'll finally stop saying: I can't believe how much things cost! And, how do people live here on such small paychecks?!

Well, we're off to the village. I'll hopefully post pictures later. Tomorrow is Roma's 10 year class reunion. At 2 pm, we'll all go to the cemetery and visit the graveside of his classmate who drowned on a class trip in the 11th grade. Then we'll go to his old classroom ("and sit for awhile") and then we're off to dinner.

I've got to run. More later.


1 comment: