Wednesday, July 7, 2010

Dima Turns 5

As previously mentioned, Dima's 5th birthday was a two-day affair. The first day, Roma and I were invited to have dinner at Sasha and Alona's house to celebrate with immediate family. Alona spent two days on her feet cooking a bazillion different dishes for her guests to eat. (Have I mentioned that she's four months pregnant? With my Godbaby? Cause she is, which makes the feast she prepared all the more remarkable.) The exclusive guest list included:

Roma, me, Alosha & Alona's niece, Katya...

Sasha, Sasha's cousin & his wife, Alona...
(Please, take note of the table jam-packed with food)

(From Left) Dima's cousin, Artiom, Sasha's mom, Mila & Alona's mom, Halya.

Dima was as darling as any birthday boy could be. Each time someone dedicated a toast to him, which was often, it ended with: "Dima, for your health. To you. Happy Birthday!" And each time, Dima would reply: "And you too!"

I first met Dima about a week after I moved to Bar, back in December of 2005. He and I immediately bonded. He was the only person I'd met who I knew, with certaintly, spoke worse Ukrainian than I did. Sure, he was six months old at the time, but hey, a bond is a bond. And while his Ukrainian has since, surpased my own, the bond remains.

What can I say? We're buds.



No comments:

Post a Comment