Monday, July 5, 2010

A Night at the Voznyuks

Last week, Roma and I were invited to dinner at the Voznyuk home. The Voznyuks are a lovely, lovely family who hosted my friend -- and fellow returned Peace Corps volunteer -- Jennifer, from 2004-2006. During my service, I spent many hours at the Voznyuk home. When you are far away from your own family, there is nothing quite as special as being warmly embraced by someone else's.

This month yet another Peace Corps volunteer arrived in Bar. This volunteer, named Maggie, will be doing community development through the local library and "information center." When the Voznyuks heard that there was a new American in town, they were eager to give her a warm welcome. And thus, we were all invited to dinner.

Pictured below you will find the Voznyuk clan. Roma and I -- along with the new volunteer, Maggie -- are nestled between them.

*A quick note about Maggie: She's 62-years-old and oh-my-goodness, too darling for words. She's from San Diego where she worked as an Attorney. She practices yoga daily and is a Reiki Master. I've had the chance to see her a couple times in Bar and help her with some errands, which can at times, be very aggravating here. And yet, I swear, nothing seemed to rustle her feathers. Maggie very well might be to most positive person I've ever met.

(Left to Right: Anna (holding up a picture of Jennifer), Olha, Maggie, Me, Roma, Andrey, Victor)

After dinner, we were all invited into the living room to enjoy some music. Olha played and sang a song on the piano. Then, she and her dad sang a duet. Afterward, they both played songs on the guitar. Victor capped the night off by serenading us with the bayan.

(Olha & Victor doing a duet)

(Victor & his bayan)

***

This weekend was Dima's 5th birthday. Roma and I were invited to join in on two days of festivities with his family and friends. I'll get those pictures up tomorrow, but for now, I'm tired. Two days of festivities can really wipe a person out .

For now, our love to all.

No comments:

Post a Comment